A transom is a window that is above your door that allows more light to enter your home. You do see Transoms that are a half round as well.

Mull Post

The Mull post is a structural post between the sidelites and your door. If your door does not have sidelites, you will not have a mull post, just a door jamb. Your door is manufactured as one “unit” with the Mull Post helping secure the sidelites.


The sidelite is a 12″ or 14″ panel next to your door. The sidelite glass should match the entry door glass and can come in varied length to match the entry door glass.  Some entry doors will only have one sidelite. When looking at sidelites, we refer to the left or right when looking at the door from the outside.


Brickmold is used as an exterior casing for your door. It is the molding around the door frame that serves as an aesthetic bounty between your siding and door frame.


The Door Slab is the largest and most important part of your door unit. We will start by building your door slab and then match everything else to your door. With that said, the best door slab in the world will not perform with sagging hinges, rotten jambs and a leaky sill.


Your sill is the horizontal beam below the door that is attached to the floor. It prevents the door from swinging through, and keeps the elements out. Sills are designed with a slope that tilts away from the house to the outside to send water away from your home.  Floyd’s Entry doors all have the patented Z-Articulating Cap.

Mull Boot

A plastic component that covers the end of the mull post (where it meets the sill) is the mull boot that  protects the mull post from water damage such as rotting. The mull boot is not a requisite part of the door frame, but a good investment for wet climates.



[contact_bank form_id=1 show_title=true show_desc=false]